Saturday, October 31, 2009

New Windows, same as the Old Windows

I recently got a new Acer laptop that came with Windows 7 installed. I usually use Linux, but I kept Windows installed for the sake of Netflix movies. All went well, until yesterday Windows committed suicide. It failed to boot itself, and then, in the process of the system recovery, trashed the bootloader and made the whole system unusable.

I promptly re-installed Ubuntu Linux using the entire disk, wiping out Windows. Good riddance!

1 comment:

Peter said...

Karl,

I'm mostly using Ubuntu these days as well. There is a Linux users group here in North Jersey that I've been attending; that helped with certain initial problems (e.g., getting an external dialup modem to connect). I still prefer the Mac for certain things; but, as for Windows, although I've kept a Windows partition, I almost never use it.

Peter