Sunday, January 01, 2006

Fr. Shane thinks I should post more


so here's a juicy tidbit from Vladimir Solovyov, concerning the failure of "moderation in all things" as a moral guide:

Why should I renounce the "inscrutable delight" [of pleasures] for the sake of dull well-being? Passions lead to destruction, but prudence does not save from destruction. No one by means of prudent behaviour alone has ever conquered death.

It is only in the presence of something higher that the voice of passions may prove to be wrong. It is silenced by the thunder of heaven, but the tame speeches of good sense are powerless to drown it.


--Vladimir Solovyov

The point is, I think, that moderation in all things still leaves one ultimately as dead as a doornail. So why not screw around? Enlightened self-interest is still futile. Only God saves.

2 comments:

Brother Sebastian said...

I'm hoping that it is in the presence of "something higher" that my passions may prove true! When it's only me driving my chariot, that horse always seems to pull me off the road, usually trying to take a shortcut. However, I don't want to stay on the road forever, either, so simply relying on prudence is insufficient!

I think the "trap" here is the use of "destruction" and "death"--the cross looks like both and we're to embrace it as we follow Jesus to Paradise (for the wedding banquet). It is only when we lose sight of the cross that death and destruction become an "end" instead of simply the scary part of metanoia.

Kevin Jones said...

So what work is that quotation from?