Wednesday, December 14, 2005

In This House of Brede


I ordered three Loyola Classics books, edited by Amy Welborn, and have enjoyed them all, but I must tell you that I am finding In This House of Brede to be excellent, first rate, a really good read. It's a page-turner about nuns in an abbey. Yes, you heard me: a page-turner about nuns in an abbey. Rumer Godden has presented a wonderfully accurate and compelling picture of vowed religious life. I spent two years living a sort of religious life, and every character she speaks of is familiar to me. Do go read it.

I think I might buy a copy for a young friend of mine who can't figure out what to do with her life.

2 comments:

Fr. Philip N. Powell, OP said...

It's a great movie too!

Fr. Philip Neri, OP

Jim said...

I may have to get it from the library. I thought of being a religious for awhile.