Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Book Meme, Book Shmeme


Kevin Miller over at HMS Blog tagged me on the book thingy. Here goes.

1. Total number of books I own/have owned. Doing a rough calculation, a typical bookshelf in my basement lair holds 27 books. I have 46 shelves, which makes 1,242 books, give or take a few. I've owned more and sold more in the past, which probably puts me around 2000.

2. Last book I bought. A set of The Great Books of the Western World, a 54 volume set from Homer to Freud for $250. It's the set put together by Hutchins and Adler.

3. Last book I read. The introductory volume of the Great Books set, giving Hutchins' apologia for the project and for liberal education in general. Before that it was David Bentley Hart's "The Beauty of the Infinite", which you'd know if you've been reading this blog.

4. Books I'm reading now. Mostly rereads and class prep. The Bible--I read the whole thing every few years. I'm up to Ecclesiastes. Lord of the Rings (every few years), Love and Responsibility, a book on the Crusades (I forget the title), Basil's letters, Athanasius' "Life of Anthony", and Cardinal Ratzingers "God and the World." I probably have other bookmarks scattered around.

5. Five books that mean a lot to me:
1. The Bible.
2. Lord of the Rings.
3. The Brothers Karamazov.
4. Summa Theologiae.
5. Nichomachean Ethics.

6. Tag five bloggers to do this. I have no idea who's done this already, and so I tag all of my friends at NDNation.

No comments: