Wednesday, November 10, 2004

What kind of nerds go to a Teen Mass?


I was talking with a friend who had the misfortune to suffer through a Teen Mass which had all sorts of drums and electric guitar and handclapping, and the thought that came to my mind was "Who goes to these things?" What self-respecting teen would go to an event that so desparately tried to be "cool?"

Now, I am not very cool. I don't even know how to define the word. But what I do know, is that one either is cool or is not cool. If one is not, trying to be cool is only going to increase one's uncoolness. The trend for lively rock n' roll teen liturgies strikes me as a blatant attempt by uncool adults to be like the kids.

Neither I nor any of my friends would have been caught dead at one of those things. Perhaps I'm unusual, and normal kids are clamoring for this kind of stuff. But I think it would be far better to try to be timeless rather than trendy. It might even attract more of the best of the kids, those who aren't satisfied with shallow pandering, but who would swallow up something substantial.

Am I the only one who thinks these things are nerdy?

No comments: