Monday, August 16, 2004

More on modesty


On my way back home from church this past Sunday, I saw a common sight: teenage girls in bikinis holding up signs for a car wash. I think they were part of a cheerleading squad. So, I pulled over to chat with the adult who was present.

"Do you really think it's appropriate to use 14 year-old T & A to entice people in for carwashes?"

"I'm sorry you feel that way. That's not the intention."

"So why the bikini tops?"

"It's hot." It wasn't. It was 72 degrees.

Of course, the perfect response only occurred to me 5 minutes later: if the desparately hot weather had forced the girls to bare their skin, I should have asked the 40ish adult woman why she wasn't dressed similarly.

Questioning the culture of death is fun. I think I'm going to make a point of stopping and scolding (politely) more often. Won't you join me?

No comments: