Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Technology is (occasionally) wonderful


I have a Palm Pilot clone (Sony) that I use mostly for reading books. The high-res screen is easy on the eyes, and I can read in bed without waking the wife, since the screen is backlit. The best thing about it is that the books are free. There are many free electronic texts on the internet (try Project Gutenberg), but it was always too difficult to read the books on a computer screen. Now, with the advance in PDA's, it is practical.

I use a program called Plucker to import text files and websites. It's free, and works well. Let me give you a sample of the library of books I'm taking on my trip to California: Summa Theologica, Walter Farrell's Companion to the Summa, two Wodehouse novels, Persuasion by Jane Austen, De Regno in Latin, the Douay-Rheims bible (complete), Volume one of the Church Fathers series on CCEL, and the complete works of William Shakespeare. I also have a Latin dictionary. And it all fits into my pocket.

No comments: