Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Short Primer on the Jesus Prayer


My sister-in-law Susan, otherwise known as the Rosary Fascist, AKA Mrs. of Nyssa (wife of my brother Gregory of Nyssa (not his real name)) asked in a comment below what the form of the Jesus Prayer is.

Here it is:
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

You can abbreviate if you like, even making it as short as "Jesus." Repeat as needed, or in other words constantly. There is a way to combine it with one's breathing, but Sean Roberts pointed out correctly that one should probably not do that without the advice of a spiritual director. Mrs. Athanasius says it is better than counting sheep.

There is a wonderful book about it called The Way of the Pilgrim. I would give my copy to Mrs. of Nyssa at Thanksgiving, but I've already given it away to someone else.


No comments: