Sunday, September 14, 2003

Notre Dame Football and the Exaltation of the Cross


On Saturday, I went to a party to watch Notre Dame play Michigan in football. This is a traditional rivalry, and is usually a wonderful game. Unfortunately, my beloved Irish lost in humiliating fashion, 38 to nothing. They had one (1!) passing yard in the first half. Needless to say, I was quite sad after the game, and the world looked black.

But then my wife and I drove off to go to church. We attended the vespers for the feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. While I was singing the many aposticha and troparia for the feast, I started to feel better. You see, there has been only one important event in all of history, and that is the passion, death, and resurrection of Christ. We exalt the cross because it is the instrument of the death of Christ, and it is by the death of Christ that our own death is conquered. We have been redeemed, we have been bought and paid for, Satan has been defeated, and we have nothing to fear if we cling to our Lord. The war was won two thousand years ago, even though battles are still being fought.

From this perspective, a 38-0 loss to Michigan is nothing.

No comments: