Sunday, August 03, 2003

"At least my parish will know the truth!"


If you live in Chicago you may have noticed a particularly bad headline from the Sun-Times on the new document about gay marriage; the headline read something like "Pope hates gays." Perhaps I exaggerate, but not by much.


My pastor, my wonderful pastor, took the opportunity to teach. The Catholic faith is never presented fairly in the media. Doctrine is distilled to sound bites, and reasoned argument based on the fundamental nature of man is reduced to a charge of intolerance, or even worse, being "old-fashioned" or "behind the times." No reporter will ever attempt to understand the teachings of the Church; no, rather he will simply cast the gospel of Christ into the old conservative vs. liberal Procrustean bed, chopping Jesus into a 15-second spot for the evening news.


As a result, one can never assume that anyone, let alone Catholics, knows what the Church teaches. People don't generally read encyclicals and catechisms--they watch the news or read the paper. My pastor (have I mentioned that he is wonderful?) said "Not in my church!" He preached what Christ's Church teaches, without apology, and then gave us all copies of the recent decleration on gay marriage so we could read it at home.


A note to any priests who may happen upon my blog: if you don't teach the Faith, somebody in the media will be happy to fill the gap. Do you trust them? Please, please, please, for the love of God, teach!

No comments: